The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 75,936 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 milesnorthwest of the City of Chicago. The community is the base of the second largest concentration of retail, office and commercial activity in the state of Illinois. Ofspecial distinction, the village was recently named one of the "Top Ten Best Places to Live" by Money Magazine, is ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub's "BestIllinois Cities for Jobs" and, for the fifth year in a row, received the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association(GFOA) for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in a variety of departments within the organization, such as police, fire, public works, engineering, finance,human resources, cultural services, community development, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and striveto make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Automotive Technician (Engineering & Public Works) with an online application deadline of 11/28/2021.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received.
SALARY: $31.44 per hour or dependent on contract language based on a 40-hour workweek. This position is represented by a union; you may refer to theEPW Local 150 collective bargaining agreement available on our website.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position performs skilled repair and maintenance work on a variety of vehicles and mechanical equipment.
To succeed in this role the ideal candidate will need to effectively and clearly communicate to a full range of people both verbally and non-verbally and becapable of prioritizing multiple projects with thoroughness and accuracy and have the capabilities of prioritizing multiple tasks and responsibilities, and the abilityto shift gears comfortably. We are looking to add a team member who has the functional skills to do the job at a high level.
1. All those listed in the Maintenance Worker I position.
2. Performs skilled diagnosis, maintenance and repairs on fleet vehicles and equipment, gas and diesel engines, and such equipment as Fire apparatus,tractors, trailers, street sweepers, trucks, front end loaders, backhoes, and patrol cars, etc.
3. Repairs, replaces and adjusts engines, brakes, clutches, transmissions, differentials, etc.
4. Fabricates/modifies/rebuilds equipment and components as required.
5. Utilizes basic welding skills in fabrication and/or maintenance and repair tasks.
6. Utilizes electronic testing equipment for diagnosing and repairing all vehicles.
7. Keeps daily shop record of work performed.
8. Partakes in emergency call out and lock up of building as required.
9. Thorough knowledge of the department’s Standard Operating Procedures and Safety Practices.
10. Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
Maintenance 1 Worker listed duties:
Performs general laborer duties. Performs a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled maintenance work and operates a variety of equipment in the construction,repair, maintenance and replacement of Village infrastructure. Maintains a variety of records relating to inspections, maintenance activities, work completed,etc. Drive a 58,000 pound GVWR truck hauling gravel, fill, or other material or plowing snow; services trucks and other equipment. Performs Snow and Icecontrol duties and assists in emergencies such as floods and wind or rainstorms. Performs minor maintenance and custodial work in the care of Village ownedbuildings, grounds, and facilities. Thorough knowledge of the Department’s Standard Operating Procedures and Safety Practices. Performs other duties asassigned. Operates other motorized equipment as needed. Maintains records, inventory supply lists, and log entries.
1. Education equivalent to a high school diploma.
2. A minimum of five years of experience in automotive repair work.
3. Must possess a complete set of mechanics hand tools and toolbox to contain same.
4. Possession of a valid State of Illinois Class "A" Commercial driver's license (CDL) or the ability to obtain within six months from date of hire.
5. Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Master Automobile Technician and/or Master Heavy Duty Truck Technician certification preferred or the ability to obtainwithin twelve months from date of hire.
6. Proficiency with current computer software systems, including email, calendar programs, job specific automotive and truck repair service manual software,and customer service systems preferred or within the first six months of employment.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Subject to extremes of temperature for prolonged periods or abrupt changes in temperature.
2. Subject to fumes, disagreeable orders.
3. Subject to exposure to hazardous materials and chemicals.
4. Subject to high levels of noise for an extended period of time.
5. Subject to working in wet, dirty, dusty, hot, humid, and/or cold conditions in high vehicle traffic areas.
6. Physical strength and agility sufficient to do strenuous tasks under varying weather conditions. Ability to lift and move 75 pounds or more such asautomotive tires.
7. Subject to working for extended periods of time; 12 hours normally and 18 hours infrequently for several consecutive days.
8. Bending, stooping, standing, sitting, pulling, pushing, forceful grasping or reaching.
9. Thorough knowledge of modern methods of repairing and adjusting automotive and other equipment.
10. Ability to complete standard work reports.
11. Ability to use shop manuals and diagnostic software programs.
12. Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot mechanical and electrical problems.
13. Subject to frequently changing walking surfaces.
14. Ability to use computer systems to track and document work accomplishments
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, vision, and life insuranceas well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation,sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-relatedtesting or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medicalexamination and drug screen.
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER